Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A votre sante

To your health! I've been on a crusade to regain my health for the past three years or so, after a doctor visit revealed that my bad cholesterol was high, my good cholesterol low, my blood pressure high and my lung capacity was approaching that of an emphysema patient.

It's amazingly difficult, regaining health. Our natural surfeit of the vim and vigor of youth does us all a disservice-- as health begins harder to maintain, we're at a loss for adaptations. Certainly, however, a persistent hacking cough reminiscent of my childhood pneumonia (in which I practically barfed phlegm) in the middle of class was enough to drive me to quit smoking. Saturday was my two-year smobriety anniversary. Two whole entire years without a cigarette. I know it's real because I couldn't find any matches or lighters in my apartment to relight my pilot light when I was cooking earlier today.

But other habits I developed once no parental figures were monitoring me have been less willing to depart my psyche. For instance, I just ate a box of croutons--in its entirety. On the other hand, I made a broccoli casserole with 1% milk and reduced fat ricotta cheese. I had willpower when I was a vegetarian. My decision to eat more meat (for health reasons) has led me to become far more irresponsible with food choices over the years. It opens up a panoply of crappy meat-like food choices at mall food courts, in vending machines, at the grocery store.

I know it's the end of the year, a time when healthy eating is elusive, but I'm all about BHAGs. As such, I'm challenging myself to eat well for the rest of the year. This doesn't exclude indulgences, but they have to be moderate. That, coupled with my exercise regimen, just might result in the weight loss I've been trying to achieve for the past year. I'd create a spreadsheet, but I'm beginning to think that sort of thing doesn't actually work for me. I'll just post here and on my 43things.com profile about my progress.

I can't help but think that perhaps I should pick some gigantic bad habit to overcome every year. I could be perfect by the time I get to 50.

No comments: