Thursday, January 01, 2009

A change in direction


I started a post on my resolutions for the new year a few days ago. It was lengthy and navel-gazing, and ultimately not all that useful for my purposes. I put 2008 to bed last night around 3AM (it ain't over until you fall asleep, I think). I was a bit sad about the year because it wasn't all that I'd hoped it would be.

When I awoke later this morning, I decided to toss my original post and start on a better note. My new years resolutions flowed from my pencil, and they are fewer and more broad than I had previously imagined. As usual, I don't like calling them resolutions, because they're more like goals I want to accomplish in service of living a better life. Without further ado, my maxims to live by in 2009:

1. Work hard
2. Be happy
3. Be healthy
4. Be grateful
5. Be pleasant to be around
6. Play music
7. Read books
8. Knit more
9. Spend more time outdoors


I feel differently about this list than those of prior years. These serve a higher purpose than my previous goals. I think, and truly hope, that they are less ego-driven than goals I've set before.

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Eve celebration and wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2009.

No comments: