Sunday, February 15, 2009

Enough!

My poor, neglected blog. My poor, neglected brain.

The world of Twitter, 43things.com, Facebook status updates and the BlackBerry have ruined my ability to write more than a few lines, and consequently to think at any great length about anything at all. I've found myself relying more and more on talking and reading than thinking and writing.

I am becoming concerned about the effects of the undercurrent of constant information crowding out the time for directed thought. I am completely overloaded in all aspects of my life, and it's not for a lack of desperately trying to stay on top of it all. I realize that this is characteristic of me in general, but for the first time I feel like this isn't a crisis of my own doing.

So, God help me, I am simplifying my life. And, in order to keep my mind and my writing chops sharp, I'm sharing, publicly on this blog (so to speak) a goal I recently posted to 43things.com: "Write an essay a week." I won't be able to work up to that level for a while, so for the time being I am going to give myself an interim goal of writing a book report on my book club's current selection: The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism. I ain't done reading it yet, but look for a post by late February.

No comments: