Sunday, June 07, 2009

One Day, One Thing

I have a to-do list on my refrigerator that I created at the beginning of 2008. It contains items like "organize all papers," "create vision board," "learn to sail," "revise resume," "redesign blog," etc.

I have done exactly none of these things in nearly 18 months. In retrospect, that seems like plenty of time to accomplish these minor project goals. This is because I failed to consider the fact that I am a compulsive socializer. Present me with an opportunity to hang out with people and there is a very high likelihood that I will take it, even if the activity does not reflect my usual interests. I used to have more synergy between hanging out and my hobbies, so at least there was time for crafts, but lately I can't even seem to pick up needles and yarn.

I think I have too much unstructured time on my hands, which is to say that I don't have enough regular obligations to make me stay focused. So instead I fill up my time with fun, but not necessarily fulfilling, activities. I think I'm going to limit my social activities after this week, which is already full. I have something to do every single night this week.

Maybe I should skip pubquiz tonight. Then again, routine is a good thing.

No comments: