Sunday, July 05, 2009

Thoughts on Fun and Fitness

I can't seem to get back into posting regularly on my blog, perhaps because I've burdened my return with too many expectations.

I've also been having a lot of fun, which used to translate into a lot of breathless retellings of my adventures but are now so numerous that I haven't the time to catalogue my many exploits (blame the rise of text messaging and the ubiquity of twitter and facebook for that). I do enjoy all the fun times a great deal, but I am missing a few things, which I will not use today's missive to dwell upon.

In the spirit of focusing on the positive, I will note that one thing I no longer lack is health and fitness, and I believe that that has contributed greatly to my improved outlook. I've made a commitment to myself to do yoga at least once a week, and I've been getting good use out of my bike. Being able to breathe freely and depend on my body is so liberating. I'm trying to take it to the next level and encountering difficulties both with my diet and workout intensity. I've recently joined jillianmichaels.com for circuit workouts and, I had hoped, easy-to-follow menus, though that is proving less the case. The workouts are great, but I can't seem to force myself to actually complete them. Since I'm 25 days from my birthday, I'm going to make a concerted effort to get serious about my workouts and my diet. I'm sitting here watching the Wimbledon men's final, which has thus far been a display of classic tennis, and I am itching to get in good enough shape to play again. I realize I say that every summer, but I feel like it's more in my reach than ever before.

No comments: