Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympics!

I am head over heels in LOVE with the Vancouver 2010 mascots:

They are the best mascots ever designed. I love their origin story video. I also really enjoyed how the opening ceremony integrated the First Nations. Go Canada!

I was saddened by the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili-- he was so young. I can only hope that he was not in pain. The video is very hard to watch, and I wish that news organizations would stop showing it, even in truncated form. The winter olympics are particularly dangerous, and this accident is a sobering reminder of that.

In happier news, the Olympics comes on in less than two hours and I need to pick a knitting project to try to start and finish over the next 16 days (because I can't finish sweaters in years, let alone weeks). That eliminates full sweaters but makes shrugs, shawls, hats, scarves, gloves/mittens, socks and vests very likely. I'll post what I'm making when I figure it out.

No comments: