Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The only thing on my mind- the care and feeding of my cat

I haven't written much about it here, but for the past 11 months, Mitzie has required more care and attention. She's 16 years old, so it's to be expected. I haven't traveled much since last August, but I'm newly assigned to a work project that will require me to travel for weeks at a time, and I don't feel comfortable relying on my friends to watch her the whole time. It's not that I don't trust them, more that I feel like I'm imposing on them, despite the fact that I watch people's houses and pets when they are gone whenever I am asked. I've been gone for two weeks in the past month, and I'll be traveling for the next several weeks. It seems like too much all at once.

I need to find a pet sitter, but I can't afford the rates charged by professional pet-sitting services. In addition, Mitzie's age and continuing illnesses have prevented me from getting her rabies vaccination this year. She never goes outside and never encounters other animals, but petsitters tend to require proof of current vaccinations. Also, given Mitzie's weakened immune system, I'm not sure I want her coming in contact with someone that's around so many animals.

For the same reasons, boarding her at a pet hotel is out of the question. I wish I had neighbors or friends with kids that I could pay $35 a week to watch her. It's summer, so I imagine checking on her twice a day would be less problematic than it would be other times of the year.

If anyone reads this and knows anyone that could help me, feel free to drop me a line.

No comments: