Monday, August 23, 2010

Kindle?

I've been thinking about the iPad, the netbook and the Kindle and how each of them could provide me a better reading experience than my BlackBerry.

I have previously expressed my dislike for Apple's stylus-free touchscreen approach to keyboardless devices. I continue to hold this view, and am thus a little reluctant to jump on the iPad bandwagon, though it does appear to be an amazing device that might yet fill the void in my life that the death of all those handtops I was fixated on about 5-6 years ago created. (I simply can't get what I need from the smartphone/netbook/mp3 player combo, and my Dell Axim couldn't cut it either.)

Given that my needs are a bit different, I can live without the handtop now, but I am starting to like the idea of a larger-screened device for reading the news and books. Thus, Kindle seems to make sense. So today, I downloaded the Kindle app for BlackBerry and read the first chapter of Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude. Once again I must admit, reading on the BlackBerry is frustrating because the screen is simply too small-- it necessitates a crapload of scrolling. Unfortunately, this app doesn't really assist me with the decision of whether to purchase a Kindle, because I imagine the full screen experience of the Kindle to be quite different.

On the other hand, it's a wonder I'm entertaining this purchase at all, given my dentist told me that I need braces, and that they cost about $3000- $4500.

No comments: