Friday, December 24, 2010

Getting my house in order

I'm taking the rest of the year off work, starting around noon today. While I'm not as far along at work as I'd hoped, I am done enough to get the heck out of dodge and not think about the place.

My apartment continues to be a disaster. I spent the past year away from it so much that I didn't want to deal with it at all. I set up a tension between hanging out with my many friends and taking care of myself and my house. I think this is the case even though I probably spent $2K on yoga and yoga-related stuff. I neglected the fact that having a cozy and inviting home is a big part of my sense of well-being.

Also, despite the aforementioned yoga and developing the ability to run without serious pain, I got fat this year. I didn't ride my bike to work half as much as I did last year, I drank too much Rubicon beer and went out to eat entirely too much for my health and my pocketbook. And I ate too many muffins from the cafe in my building.

So I'll be spending my week off work cleaning every nook and cranny, purging all the clothes I keep hoping I'll mend or alter (or perhaps I will pay someone to do that), taking things to the dump and the goodwill. And to kickstart my weight loss and efforts to regain balance in my life, I'll be doing yoga every day and going on a 3-day juice fast, starting tomorrow. Since it's always amusing to observe how people react to fasts, I'll post my thoughts here.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: