Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Reverb10

The lovely Madeleine posted her commitment to write on the prompts posted daily in December at reverb10, and it sounded like a good way to keep the blogging ball rolling, so I'm joining the fun.

Today's prompt?

December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)


Harried

Harried signifies 2010 for me,because I've spent the year trying to live up to an unreasonable ideal. It has manifested in my insistence on doing everything and being all things to everyone. I don't know if it's because I had few friends as a kid and am still afraid that if I say no to something, no one will invite me to anything, or if I am still making up for social time lost to grad school, but the past year I haven't been able to say no to anything or anyone. It's made for unconscious eating and spending and talking and to paraphrase/bastardize a friend, it's been fun, but not always fulfilling. In 2011, I would like my word to be content, and for me to spend the year cultivating more depth of relationships and projects, rather than the somewhat scattershot approach of 2010.

No comments: