Monday, June 25, 2012

Self-discipline

I get a daily quote from the Buddha. Sometimes, I disagree with them because these teachings can be so focused on self-denial, which I believe can lead to a lack of empathy unless one is vigilant about maintaining it. But this one is good:

You are your own master,
you make your future.
Therefore discipline yourself
as a horse-dealer trains a thoroughbred.

It is particularly timely because, as anyone who has had a conversation with me lately can tell you, I am really over-committed right now.  I think, however, this is related not to the volume of projects, but to my inability to go home when I need to, or to avoid that last meeting over drinks. Ever the optimist, I'm still confident I can get all my projects done, do my job relatively well, and still stay healthy and get enough sleep.

No comments: